[Politech] Chris Riley on Orrin Hatch's Induce Act [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 19:59:23 PDT

    Subject: Re: INDUCE Act
    Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Chris Riley <chrisr@private>
    To: <declan@private>

    Declan,

       The INDUCE Act (also the Inducing Infringements of Copyright Act, to
    lessen the somewhat irrational connection to children) would ban far
    more than just P2P networks.  While it's widely acknowledged that this
    was the stated purpose, the text of the bill is far broader, and holds
    liable any company which knowingly induces the infringement of
    copyright.  This accusation could be made of an MP3 player or other
    devices just as easily as a file-sharing software programmer; while I
    have no statistics (and they might be hard to acquire), I expect DVD
    burners are used as often for copying copyrighted movies as for RIAA
    approved uses.  A few links worthy of note:

    Ernest Miller's excellent markup of Senator Hatch's announcement:
    http://www.corante.com/importance/archives/004563.html

    The EFF's first article on the announcement:
    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/001631.php

    A convincing (fake) complaint that Apple, Toshiba, and CNET Networks
    can be held accountable under the act (remember Apple's 'Rip, Mix,
    Burn' ad campaign?):
    http://www.eff.org/IP/Apple_Complaint.php

      -- Chris
    http://www.suspendedconversation.com