[Politech] Richard Smith rates Bush, Kerry website security

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 20:46:59 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Rating the Bush and Kerry Web sites on security
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:43:44 -0400
From: Richard M. Smith <rms@private>
To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>

Hi,

To rate George Bush and John Kerry on the Homeland Security issue, I just
completed two quick security audits of the official Bush
(http://www.georgewbush.com/) and Kerry (http://www.johnkerry.com/) campaign
Web sites.  Unfortunately, I found problems at both Web sites.

Here are the results of my testing so far:

1.  Both the Bush and the Kerry Web sites have cross-site scripting errors
(XSS).  These errors can allow a prankster to create fake Web pages which
load from the Bush or Kerry Web sites but additional content can be supplied
from a different Web server belonging to a prankster.  A prankster could
then say anything they want on a Bush or Kerry Web page using a XSS error.
Examples include fake news stories, slogans telling visitors to vote for the
other candidate, and doctored photos of a candidate.

2.  Error trapping at the Kerry Web site isn't very good.  Typing unusual
characters into Web forms at the Kerry Web site causes Web server
applications to fail and a visitor is shown very cryptic error pages.  These
problems might be a sign of SQL injection errors which can be quite serious.
An SQL injection error can sometimes be used by an outsider to break into a
backend database at a Web site and then to make off with private information
from the database.

3.  The Bush Web site has hired a company called Omniture to track users at
the Bush Web site.  Omniture uses hidden Web bugs to do this tracking.
Perhaps this Web site feature was requested by John Ashcroft? ;-)  This
relationship with Omniture is not spelled out in the Bush Web site privacy
policy.  For more about information about Omniture, check out their Web site
at http://www.omniture.com/company.html.

4.  Both the Bush and Kerry Web sites encourage visitors to add banner ads
for the candidates to their own Web pages.  The Bush banner ad uses
JavaScript supplied from the Bush Web server (See
http://www.georgewbush.com/WStuff/BPAdFeed.aspx).  The Kerry banner ads use
an embedded IFRAME (See http://www.johnkerry.com/download/promos.html).
Both banner ad schemes allow the campaigns to track visitors to any Web
pages where the banner ads appear.  In addition, the Bush JavaScript scheme
allows the Bush Web server to run any script code inside of other people's
Web pages.  This scheme doesn't strike me as a very good idea from a
security standpoint.

5.  Both candidates have good Web site privacy policies.  For some odd
reason, the Kerry Web site privacy policy is also certified by Truste and
BBBOnline.

6.  It appears that the open source vs. closed source debate has also
entered the presidential campaign.  The Kerry home page comes from an Apache
Web server running on a Red Hat Linux box.  The Bush Web site on the other
hand is hosted on a more corporate Microsoft-powered IIS 5.0 server and uses
ASP.NET.  I did not check to see if this IIS server is up to date with
Microsoft security patches.

If anyone else runs across anything interesting at these two Web sites,
please let me know.

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com