[Politech] Replies to how to boycott Microsoft (or at least MSN search)

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 21:53:08 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/06/boycott-msn-search/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] How to boycott Microsoft (or at least MSN search)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:52:55 +0200
From: David Haworth <david.haworth@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
CC: matthew@private

Declan, Matthew,

Re: Politech article "A Finger In The Eye Of Microsoft"

Unfortunately, the scheme won't work. At least, not for long. Why?
Because it relies on the MSN bot being honest & truthful. The
robots.txt file is a hint to visiting robots about where they might
look for file to index. There's no compulsion for a bot to take any
notice of the file, or even to read the file.

Admittedly, MSN might get some bad press if they started indexing
pages that should not be indexed at all. But there's nothing to stop
the MSN bot from using, say, the Google bot's entry in the file.

For more information go to http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html

Dave Haworth

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 07:52:55AM +0200, David Haworth
<david.haworth@private> wrote:
 > Re: Politech article "A Finger In The Eye Of Microsoft"
 >
 > Unfortunately, the scheme won't work. At least, not for long. Why?
 > Because it relies on the MSN bot being honest & truthful. The
 > robots.txt file is a hint to visiting robots about where they might
 > look for file to index. There's no compulsion for a bot to take any
 > notice of the file, or even to read the file.
 >
 > Admittedly, MSN might get some bad press if they started indexing
 > pages that should not be indexed at all. But there's nothing to stop
 > the MSN bot from using, say, the Google bot's entry in the file.
 >
 > For more information go to http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html

I'm fully aware that the rules in that file are voluntarily
implemented, and practically unenforceable.  I never expected it
to work if Microsoft chooses to be dishonest about it.  However,
I do not expect them to be dishonest unless the idea really
takes off heavily -- frankly the amount of pressure that can be
applied this way is fairly low compared to the amount of bad
press they might get for violating it.

If Microsoft does decide to play dirty, that's going to have
consequences in terms of bad press -- and for that matter,
wouldn't ignoring the robots.txt file count as "bypassing an
access control device" per the DMCA?  That might be fun.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew@private)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt