[Politech] Jim Harper asks: What's so bad about RFID? [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 20:59:17 PDT

Two previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/13/rfid-marathon/
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/13/japan-rfid-kids/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech] RFID chips on marathon runners' ID cards? [priv]
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:45:54 -0400
From: Jim Harper - Privacilla.org <jim.harper@private>
To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>

Hi Declan:

I was interested by your two posts about RFID being used to track humans.
It's not very astonishing, of course, when RFID is used this way because
people *want* it used this way.

The commentator below warns of people being "duped into accepting tracking
devices at the peril of our privacy for the sake of convenience."  But if
consumers want convenience, and trade some privacy to get it, I fail to see
why they would be dupes for doing so.  People give up privacy all the time
for things they want more.  Isn't the point to get consumers what they want?

(Folks whose response is "I think consumers should prioritize privacy more
highly" have failed Social Analysis 101 because they're substituting their
personal preferences for those of consumers as a whole.)

I recently published a piece with the Competitive Enterprise Institute about
the potential privacy consequences of RFID in consumer goods.  I believe
that a variety of social forces will constrain RFID in the consumer goods
environment to minimize the privacy threats while maximizing consumer
welfare.

http://www.cei.org/pdf/4080.pdf

It's sure to raise hackles from people who assume that the most powerful
RFID technologies will be surreptitiously placed in consumer goods.  But for
others, this may be a welcome even-keeled assessment.

Jim Harper
Editor
Privacilla.org