[Politech] Orin Kerr on Councilman case: "Sky *is* falling!" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 08:44:29 PDT

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/06/isp-wiretapping/
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/13/isp-monitoring/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: my take on Councilman
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:45:08 -0400
From: Orin Kerr <okerr@private>
To: <declan@private>

Declan,

I just posted some thoughts on the Councilman case and I thought you
might be interested.  The original post and relevant links are available
at http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2004_07_14.shtml#1089840267
Feel free to post if you like.

Best,
Orin

_________________________________

UNITED STATES v. COUNCILMAN: THIS TIME THE SKY REALLY *IS* FALLING

In debates on Internet surveillance law, I often end up arguing that
reports of privacy's death have been greatly exagerrated. For example, I
wrote a law review article in 2002 describing the effect of the USA
Patriot Act on Internet surveillance law as 'The Big Brother That
Isn't.' (available at
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=317501) Two weeks
ago, however, the First Circuit decided a case called United States v.
Councilman that poses a very real threat to Internet privacy.

There has been some press on the case already, but some writers and
commentators have also suggested that the decision really isn't a big
deal. Declan's take is representative of the no-big-deal school.  He
writes that "the folks who are most upset about this haven't read the
court's opinion carefully, and those that have are discounting the
ability of state law and tort sanctions to keep people in line. There
are other mechanisms than just federal wiretapping law that can enforce
good behavior."  I disagree with Declan, and thought it might be worth
explaining why the Councilman decision is so dangerous.

First, a bit of background. Federal law protect e-mail privacy through
two primary laws: the Wiretap Act, codified at 18 U.S.C. 2510-22, and
the Stored Communications Act, 18 U.S.C. 2701-11. The Wiretap Act offers
very strong protection against the real-time interception of telephone
or Internet communications. If any one tries to step in and snoop on the
contents of another person's communications, they commit a federal
felony offense unless one of several fairly narrow exceptions applies.
If the government tries to do this, they need a super-search warrant
called a Title III order. In contrast, the Stored Communications Act
sets up lesser privacy protections for access to stored communications.
First, the law is much narrower; it applies only to files held by
particular providers, and has much broader exceptions. Second, the
prohibition against snooping on stored files is much narrower and
ordinarily a misdemeanor. Third, law enforcement access to stored files
is normally !
  governed my a basic warrant requirement, rather than a super-search
warrant requirement. Why the different treatment for stored and
in-transit communications, you wonder? Well, there are a couple of
reasons, but one important reason is that the Supreme Court suggested in
Berger v. New York that in-transit interception requires special
protections under the Fourth Amendment. (By the way, I discuss how the
Wiretap Act applies to the Internet in the Big Brother article I linked
to above. I also give a basic explanation of the Stored Communications
Act in a forthcoming article you can download in draft form here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=421860.)

The Councilman case addresses an ambiguity in the line between the
Wiretap Act and the Stored Communications Act. The question is, when is
a file stored, and when is it in transit? This is a big question because
on the Net communications are often at rest for very brief periods of
time in the course of transmission, and the statutory text doesn't make
particularly clear whether access to a file that is at rest for a
nanosecond is supposed to be covered by the Wiretap Act or the Stored
Communications Act. Councilman involved an ISP employee who wrote and
installed a computer program to scan incoming e-mail of the ISP's
customers; ISP employees would then read the e-mails and try to use them
for the commercial advantage of the ISP. In a nutshell, the First
Circuit held (by a vote of 2-1) that because the program scanned the
e-mails while they were at rest for a nanosecond, the e-mails were in
storage at that time and access to them was covered by the Stored
Communication Act, !
  not the Wiretap Act. Because Councilman had been indicted for
violating the Wiretap Act, the Court affirmed the dismissal of
Councilman's indictment.

Why is this decision a big deal? It's a big deal because the line
between the Wiretap Act and the Stored Commmunications Act doesn't just
regulate ISPs. It regulates everybody, including federal and state
criminal investigators. The Justice Department and Congressional
staffers have interpreted the Wiretap Act quite broadly and the Stored
Communications Act quite narrowly, and based both existing practice and
recent legislative amendments on that understanding. When I was at DOJ
advising agents on this sort of thing, the informal yardstick was that
when a law enforcement agent planned a series of accesses to a file or
account, the repeated series of accesses triggered the Wiretap Act
rather than the Stored Communications Act. So in a pre-Councilman world,
an FBI agent couldn't make an end-run around the Wiretap Act by lining
up a bunch of warrants and executing them once every ten minutes. This
approach remained true to the Supreme Court's decision in Berger and
also ensured!
   that the strong privacy protections of the Wiretap Act were not
gutted by end-runs around the statute.

The Councilman approach largely nullifies the Wiretap Act online, by
contrast, with rather remarkable implications. It is my understanding
that when the FBI gets a Wiretap order to install a network wiretapping
device such as Carnivore, they usually install the device at a
nanosecond-storage point. Well, guess what, folks-- that's no longer
regulated by the Wiretap Act. Under Councilman, DOJ can install
Carnivore with at most only a search warrant. Even worse, the FBI
doesn't need a search warrant at all if the owner of the computer where
Carnivore is installed consents and that owner is a University or
business other than an ISP. Because the exceptions to the Wiretap Act
are narrow while the exceptions to the Stored Communications Act are
much broader, the switch from protection via the former to via the
latter is not only a switch to lesser protection, but in many cases a
switch to no protection at all. For example, if the FBI wanted to
install Carnivore at my university's!
   servers and the university was willing to let them do this, the FBI
could monitor all of my incoming and outgoing e-mail (and all of the
e-mail of everyone at the University, for that matter) in real-time
without any legal process or oversight whatsoever. Do you remember the
controversy over the "computer trespasser" exception to the Wiretap Act,
which was one of the most controverial sections in the USA Patriot Act?
Under Councilman, that kind of monitoring generally will not even
implicate the Wiretap Act in the first place, so the monitoring is no
longer limited by the specific statutory requirements of the trespasser
exception. Bad stuff. Very bad.

There are rumors afoot that Congress may step in and fix this problem
soon. Fortunately, the politics are a win-win: both DOJ and civil
liberties groups want the prior understanding restored. There is even
proposed statutory language floating about that would do the trick quite
nicely. Let's hope that Congress acts sooner rather than later.

Orin S. Kerr
Associate Professor
George Washington University Law School
Washington, DC  20052