[Politech] More on UN spam meeting and junk fax laws [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 22:03:22 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/13/un-spam-report/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Report from UN spam meeting in Geneva, from
William Drake [sp]
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:01:35 -0700
From: James J. Lippard <lippard@private>
To: William Drake <wdrake@private>
CC: declan@private

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:54:42PM -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> ITU taking on new functions, even when this could make sense (BTW, I'm told
> that the direct marketers and the Republicans on the hill are currently
> pushing through legislation to effectively repeal the legal ban on junk
> fax---anyone surprised that CAN SPAM was a sham?).

This is not entirely accurate.  There was a major FCC rule change in
July 2003 (which included implementation of rules for the national Do
Not Call list and Caller ID requirements for telemarketers).  One
provision of the new rules was a strengthened restriction on faxing
that requires advance *written* consent on faxing, even where there is
an existing business relationship.  It is that written prior consent
requirement that is being suggested for repeal, on the grounds that it
is an onerous restriction on legitimate (non-junk) faxing.

In August 2003, the FCC extended the compliance date for the written
consent rule to January 1, 2005, so it has not yet gone into effect
(and has never been in effect to date).

The current bills in Congress codify the current rules on unsolicited
commercial faxes, allowing them to be sent to those with whom the
sender has an existing business relationship--they are a maintenance
of the status quo, not a repeal of the ban on junk faxing.

--
Jim Lippard        lippard@private       http://www.discord.org/
GPG Key ID: 0xF8D42CFE