[Politech] Ethan Ackerman on DoD censoring video and copyright [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 09:59:09 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech]  Pentagon censors  video [ip] - forgets their
own rules in doing so.
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:49:58 -0400
From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Greetings Declan,
for Politech, if you wish.

Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations (DFARS) govern DoD contracting, and
generally require that all contractors either transfer copyright in their
works or grant the govt. an expansive license in the works that includes
rights to redistribute or re-use.

(Software is one of several exceptions, which is why those few people who
actually read clickwrap license sometimes see language about
'notwithstanding DFARS regulation xxx.yy para. zz'...)

So what it sounds like is the Army attorney hasn't thought yet of its own
acquisitions regulations, is seizing on a convenient obfuscating
opportunity, or this is an example of govt. admitting it didn't follow its
own procurement rules...

(good DFARS licensing explanation, if only the links would work, at:
http://www.dtic.mil/cendi/publications/04-8copyright.html#43 )

DOJ's previous advice on how copyright law is generally NOT a reason to deny
a FOIA request:
http://www.usdoj.gov/oip/foia_updates/Vol_IV_4/page3.htm

-Ethan