[Politech] Replies on Canadian drugs and Internet re-importation

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 22:01:26 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/09/21/conservative-group-says/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Politech] Conservative group says Internet drug
reimportation = higher $$$
Date: 	Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:13:06 -0300
From: 	Stephen Downes <Stephen.Downes@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
To: 	Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Hiya,

If they avoid selling in Canada, the drugs will simply be manufactured
in Canada by generics - the drug companies have already tried this, and
that's what happened. Drug costs in Canada are regulated, and are based
on the actual cost of drug production, not whatever the market will
bear. Drug companies make a fine profit in Canada and enjoy strong
patent protection, the cost of which was price regulation. Deregulate
the prices... lose the patent protection.

-- Stephen