[Politech] Steve Schear on video voyeurism, stock options [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 06:35:29 PDT

I interviewed Rebecca McEnally, the CFA Institute's vice president of
advocacy, for an article last week:
http://news.com.com/Tech+firms+lobby+to+keep+stock+options/2100-1030_3-5376201.html

I asked her why it was necessary to force expensing of stock options
when they're already typically disclosed in footnotes. Therefore it's
straightforward to calculate how they affect outstanding shares. Her
reply was only sophisticated investors will do that calculation and
essentially that financial statements should not require a degree in,
well, finance to interpret.