[Politech] Ohio legislation permitting deleting address, birthdate from driver's license [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 21:00:56 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ohio legislation to allow removal address/date of birth from
  driver's license
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:22:27 -0800
From: James Moyer <james@private>
To: declan@private

Declan,

Some time ago I mentioned that I was working on a bill here in Ohio that
will allow any Ohioan to get a driver's license without their home
address and/or their date of birth.

This legislation has finally been introduced, (it's part of a bill that
will allow domestic violence/stalking victims to make their home
addresses hidden in voter registration records.)

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=125_HB_553

The purpose of having the address on the license is long forgotten, but
presents privacy and identity theft risks. It is absurd that a person be
required to show where they live simply to get a drink or enter a club.

The date of birth provision was added for individuals who do not use
their license for age verification. It makes the document less valuable
if stolen (since date of birth serves as a major element for identity
fraud, with address) and it also hides the person's age, if the
individual prefers to keep their age secret. The document will be
verticalized, like an Ohio under-21 ID card, so it's clear that it can't
be used for age verification.

I believe this may cause a small revolution in how we think of ID
cards--you would be able to tailor your ID card to have only the
information that you actually need. Further, you can have multiple
copies of the license with different information elements. For instance,
I may have two licenses, one with my date of birth (for the very
infrequent time I need to prove my age) and the other without my date of
birth (for carrying around when I drive.)

For Ohio Politech members, please call up your state representative's
office and ask them to co-sponsor HB 553.

James Moyer