*****SPAM***** [Politech] Judge nixes part of ECPA, Patriot Act; DoJ to appeal [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 22:04:51 PDT

SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
SPAM:
SPAM: Content analysis details:   (6.8 hits, 5 required)
SPAM: Hit! (2.7 points)  Subject contains lots of white space
SPAM: Hit! (0.5 points)  BODY: A WHOLE LINE OF YELLING DETECTED
SPAM: Hit! (0.6 points)  BODY: 2 WHOLE LINES OF YELLING DETECTED
SPAM: Hit! (1.0 point)   Received via an IP in dynablock.njabl.org
SPAM:                    [RBL check: found 96.179.156.141.dynablock.njabl.org.]
SPAM: Hit! (0.4 points)  Received via a relay in dnsbl.njabl.org
SPAM:                    [RBL check: found 96.179.156.141.dnsbl.njabl.org.]
SPAM: Hit! (0.6 points)  DNSBL: sender ip address in in a dialup block
SPAM: Hit! (1.0 point)   DNSBL: Received via an IP in dynablock.njabl.org
SPAM:
SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------

The ruling:
http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=16596&c=262

---

http://news.com.com/Judge+disarms+Patriot+Act+proviso/2100-1028_3-5388764.html

Judge disarms Patriot Act proviso
Published: September 29, 2004, 5:26 PM PDT
By Declan McCullagh

A key part of the USA Patriot Act that allows the FBI to secretly demand
information from Internet providers violates the U.S. Constitution, a
federal judge said Wednesday in a ruling that could have a broad impact
on government surveillance.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero barred the FBI from invoking that
portion of the law in the future, saying the mandatory gag orders amount
to an "unconstitutional prior restraint of speech in violation of the
First Amendment."

The 2001 law requires Internet service providers and any other type of
communication provider--including telephone companies--to comply with
secret "national security letters" from the FBI. Those letters can ask
for information about subscribers--including home addresses, what
telephone calls were made, e-mail subject lines and logs of what Web
sites were visited.

[...remainder snipped...]

---

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE	OPA
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2004	(202) 514-2008
WWW.USDOJ.GOV	TDD (202) 514-1888

STATEMENT OF MARK CORALLO, DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS,
ON THE DEPARTMENT'S DECISION TO APPEAL THE NATIONAL SECURITY LETTER
RULING BY THE DISTRICT COURT IN NEW YORK

	"The Justice Department will continue to defend our ability to protect
the American people from our terrorist enemies.

	"The New York district court has struck down as unconstitutional an
important act of Congress,  the 1986 National Security Letter statute
(18 USC 2709).  That decision takes away a tool for fighting terrorism
that the Congress has authorized.  The Department of Justice Department
will appeal that decision.

	"We will continue to defend our ability to protect our people, to
safeguard their liberty, and preserve our way of life.

	"We will also work with the Congress to clarify, improve and, where
necessary, enhance our legal tools to fight the terrorists and prevent
another attack."

  ###

04-664