[Politech] Justice Department, FBI want new anti-piracy powers [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 20:19:28 PDT

News article:
http://news.com.com/Justice+Dept.+wants+new+antipiracy+powers/2100-1028_3-5406654.html?tag=nefd.top

The report itself:
http://www.cybercrime.gov/IPTaskForceReport.pdf

---

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2004	(202) 514-2008
WWW.USDOJ.GOV		TDD (202) 514-1888

ATTORNEY GENERAL JOHN ASHCROFT ANNOUNCES RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE JUSTICE
DEPARTMENT'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY TASK FORCE

	LOS ANGELES - Attorney General John Ashcroft and U. S. Attorney Debra
W. Yang today announced the recommendations of the Justice Department's
Intellectual Property Task Force, created by the Attorney General on
March 31, 2004 to examine all aspects of how the Department handles
intellectual property issues and report on proposals for future activity.

	"Intellectual property theft is a clear danger to our economy and the
health, safety, and security of the American people," said Attorney
General Ashcroft.  "The enforcement of our intellectual property laws is
among the highest priorities of the Justice Department, and I created
the Intellectual Property Task Force to explore ways for us to
strengthen our protection of the nation's valuable intellectual
resources.  With the recommendations put forward by the Task Force, the
Department is prepared to build the strongest, most aggressive legal
assault against intellectual property crime in our nation's history."

"I am confident that our nation's creative and intellectual resources
will be better protected when the recommendations of the Task Force
report are implemented.  The Justice Department will have additional
tools to fight movie theft and product counterfeiting," said U.S.
Attorney Yang.  "With the increased protection and new law enforcement
resources, our nation's intellectual property will continue to enhance
our daily lives and play a role in the continued growth of the American
economy."

	The Intellectual Property Task Force examined intellectual property
(IP) issues as they relate to criminal law, civil law, international
treaties and obligations, legislative and regulatory proposals, and
overall public awareness.  David Israelite, Deputy Chief of Staff to the
Attorney General, served as chairman of the Task Force and led its
six-month investigation.

	In addition to recommendations regarding civil and antitrust
enforcement of IP laws, the Task Force's proposals include:

*	Charging and prosecuting all intellectual property crimes whenever
federal law applies, including organized crime, fraud, and illegal
importation cases, in addition to strengthening the Justice Department's
ability to bring those cases;

*	Updating the legal tools that help the United States to charge IP
criminals overseas under American law;

*	Encouraging respect for intellectual property rights through youth
education programs; and

*	Increasing cooperation with individuals, businesses, and industries
that have been victimized by IP theft.

Intellectual property industries play a significant role in the American
economy.  They make up approximately six percent of the gross domestic
product, employ more than five million people, and contribute $626
billion to the U.S. economy.  The increasing value of intellectual
property, coupled with the ease and low cost of copyright infringement,
has significantly increased the destructive consequences of intellectual
property theft.

Well-organized criminal enterprises have recently begun to increase the
scale, scope, and sophistication of international theft and
counterfeiting.  Given the simplicity of disseminating millions of
copies of stolen software, music, video, and other products and programs
around the globe with a single computer click, and given the
inconsistent enforcement of existing laws worldwide, it is imperative
that intellectual property rights be reaffirmed and vigorously protected.

	The Department of Justice has been committed to the prevention of theft
and counterfeiting of copyrighted hard goods and online materials.
Operation Fastlink - announced in April 2004 and led by the Department's
Criminal Division and the FBI - constituted the largest international
law enforcement effort ever undertaken against online theft.  Operation
Digital Gridlock, announced in August 2004, targeted IP theft over
peer-to-peer networks and resulted in the seizure of more than 40
terabytes of material.  The Justice Department's Computer Hacking and
Intellectual Property (CHIP) Units have been expanded according to the
Attorney General's directive to prosecute those who are responsible for
cybercrime.  The Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section
(CCIPS) of the Department's Criminal Division has also been expanded,
providing additional resources to fight theft.

###

04-693