[Politech] Norm Hawker on Nancy Pelosi, spending, and tax cuts

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 07:09:52 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Nancy Pelosi: Yet another Washington hypocrite
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:23:17 -0400
From: Norman Hawker <norman.hawker@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

I don't think its hypocritical to vote for spending increases if you
opposed the Bush tax cuts. Most Americans evidently want these
purchases of defense, homeland security, etc.

Reasonable minds, e.g., Chris Edwards, can disagree about whether the
American people are "right" to want these programs, but the job of the
House of Representatives is to enact the programs favored by the
American people.

What's hypocritical is the Bush/GOP position of we can slash taxes,
increase spending and blame "tax and spend" liberals for the deficit.
After all, "tax and spend" liberals do not create deficits, "tax cut
and spend" conservatives do.

Norm Hawker

Norman Hawker, Associate Professor
Western Michigan University
Haworth College of Business
1903 West Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008-5420

[Norm makes good points. But I doubt a majority of voters in Pelosi's
home district would support the FY04 budget bills if polled, and I'd
also say that her job is to uphold the Constitution rather than merely
dole out largess. Those points asise, though, it seems dubious (thus my
charge of hypocrisy) to vote for towering budget deficits and then blame
them on Bush. If Norm wants to reply again, I'll give him the last word.
--Declan]