[Politech] Two replies to FDA approval of the Verichip under-skin implant [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 20:11:51 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Questions about FDA approval of the Verichip
under-skinimplant [priv]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:55:50 -0400
From: Danny Yavuzkurt <ayavuzk@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Well, it's all a matter of priorities, and individual choice.. (if there is
such a thing as "individual choice" when it comes to government..) - if you
value being able to breeze through a checkpoint to do whatever you're
supposed to be there to do, and not having to worry about remembering your
ID card, more than you value having the option of sometimes being
*unidentified*, and *untracked*, then these RFIDs are a convenience.

If you're afraid that you'll be force-implanted against your will (or
"forced" by being marginalized or starved if you "choose" not to comply,
ie,
everyone today has to have a supermarket "membership card" to get large
discounts on food, without which they might not be able to afford food),
and
you'd rather have choice and freedom than convenience, then of course
you'll
find it Orwellian and disturbing. So, like a lot of technologies, it
opposes
freedom to choose not to use the technology with the convenience and
security of using it.

Then, of course, there are the arguments about trusting technology to solve
a traditional problem like identification.. once these chips are
ubiquitous,
counterfeit chips (or simply removing the chip from a victim) would make
false identification easier. (Of course, with multiple safeguards like
biometrics, it would be less of a problem. But with biometrics, why would
you need an implant to begin with?)

And it's probable that eventually, this will be a moot point; everyone will
be using these chips to identify themselves, since it'll be cheaper and
easier than having to carry around (and possibly forget) a traditional ID
card - or a whole wallet full of ID, credit, membership, and other cards.
People, I believe, will be more than willing to be trackable, live in a
universal-ID-required society, and be scanned constantly, if it makes their
everyday life easier and more affordable - that is, compared to not using
it. Overall, things may get worse, but if there's a temporary advantage to
using the new technology, even if there are long-term negative effects,
people will jump on the short-term benefits. Just human nature.

-Danny