[Politech] And the privacy award goes to... Microsoft?

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 23:03:26 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: And the privacy award goes to... Microsoft?
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:19:17 -0800
From: Ray Everett-Church <ray@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, <dave@private>

For IP and Politech if you like...

Stay tuned, for I'm sure we'll see John Ashcroft honored for his work on
civil
liberties and praise for Titanic's seaworthiness...

==================

IAPP ANNOUNCES WINNERS OF 2004 HP/IAPP PRIVACY INNOVATION AWARD
- Microsoft, US Postal Service Recognized for Exemplary Privacy Leadership -

The United States Postal Service (USPS) and Microsoft Corporation were
announced
as winners of the HP/IAPP Privacy Innovation Award during a special
reception
Thursday at the 2004 International Association of Privacy Professionals
(IAPP)
Privacy and Data Security Academy and Expo. The IAPP is the world's largest
association for the privacy profession.

"This year's Innovation Award winners demonstrate that going beyond what's
expected or required is substantiated by measurable increases in consumer
commitment and customer satisfaction," said Barbara Lawler, chief privacy
officer, HP. "Specific privacy investments made by the USPS and
Microsoft are
creating new ways of doing business - making privacy a part of their
cultures
and business operations."

Microsoft Corporation won for the commercial category, while the US Postal
Service took the honors in the government/non-profit category. Both
companies
were credited for taking leadership roles in adopting and innovating
technologies and techniques for the protection of consumer data.

"Privacy is a core value of the U.S. Postal Service. In our 225 year
history, we
have established a trusted tradition regarding protecting the privacy and
security of the mail," said Zoe Strickland, chief privacy officer for
the USPS.
"The USPS Business Impact Assessment (BIA) is a tool that supports this core
postal tradition. The BIA process is a systematic evaluation - and
driver - of
every USPS information system in terms of privacy and security. This
recognition
affirms the value of privacy and security infrastructure."

"Microsoft's commitment to privacy innovation and improving the
effectiveness of
technologies that protect customer privacy is at the core of how we conduct
business and help customers realize the full potential of technology," said
Peter Cullen, Chief Privacy Strategist for Microsoft. "Our approach to
privacy
extends beyond regulatory compliance standards, and is focused on providing
customers with greater control over their personal information in ways that
further strengthen their level of trust with Microsoft and technology in
general."

The HP/IAPP Privacy Innovation Award was created in partnership with HP
and the
IAPP as the industry's premier award, recognizing leadership and
innovation in
the development and advocacy of technologies and techniques for the
protection
of personal data. The HP/IAPP Privacy Innovation Award is awarded
annually to
the commercial and government/not-for-profit organizations that set the
standard
of excellence for the privacy community.

For More Information:
Contact the IAPP
(800) 266 6501
info@private