[Politech] David Wagner on no evidence (yet) that vote is hacked

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 20:28:42 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Politech] Some Dems allege that exit polls wrong,	voting
machines rigged
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:36:44 -0800 (PST)
From: David Wagner <daw@private>
To: declan@private

I think these claims of fraud have to be viewed with some skepticism.
The article claims "Evidence Mounts that the Vote Was Hacked", but the
author does not present any real evidence, or a theory of how election
fraud was alleged to occur.  He does present some interesting statistical
patterns and anomalies -- but there might be many explanations for
these patterns.  I think it is too early to infer anything specific
from this data.  For instance, it would be premature to blame this on
inaccuracies (or even fraud) in touchscreen voting machines.

Before drawing too many conclusions, I encourage readers to see the
analysis and commentary on this site: http://www.evoting-experts.com/
See, e.g., these posts:
http://www.evoting-experts.com/index.php?p=65
http://www.evoting-experts.com/index.php?p=61
http://www.evoting-experts.com/index.php?p=59

I've said before, and I'll say it again, that DRE e-voting machines
have serious vulnerabilities to fraud.  However, it is one thing to say
that there are potential vulnerabilities, and another entirely to say
that those vulnerabilities were exploited this election.  At present,
we have no evidence for the latter.

-- David