[Politech] Ashcroft resigns, takes credit for "extraordinary era of justice" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 15:40:21 PST

[Copied from PDF sent from DOJ, so some odd formatting. --Declan]

Office of the Attorney General
November 9, 2004
Message from the Attorney General to Justice Department Employees

Nearly four years ago. in my first message to the Justice Community, I
wrote to each of you of my goals for this noble Department: to "uphold
the American justice tradition that strives to bring protection to the
weak, freedom to the restrained, liberty to the oppressed, and security
to all."

Today  I write  to you at the close of my time as the Attorney  General,
gratified that together we have accomplished  our goals.

On November 2nd, I submitted to the President my intention to resign
from the office of Attorney General of the United States, effective upon
confirmation of my successor. As I take leave of this high office, I am
filled with gratitude to you, the men and women of the Department of
Justice, for an extraordinary period of service that has ushered in an
extraordinary era of justice and security for the American people. We
live today in an America that is safer and stronger than ever before; an
America where freedom is not a promise but a birthright, not a dream but
a reality.

In partnership with the American people we have compiled a record of
achievement that is remarkable if judged merely by peacetime standards.
But for a time of war, your record is awe inspiring.

For three years since the worst attack in our nation's history, and in
defiance of all expectations, America has not endured another major
terrorist attack. Violent crime is at its lowest rate in three decades.
We have engineered double-digit reductions in the rates of sexual
assault, robbery and assault. Gun crime prosecutions are at a record
high and violent crimes committed with guns are at a record low. Drug
use among the nation's youth is declining. Corporate criminals are
facing justice, and integrity has been restored to the nation's
marketplace. America's values, as set forth in our Constitution,
reflected in our laws, and cherished in our hearts, have been honored
and defended.

Throughout our nation's history - throughout the history of
civilization - men and women have struggled to define and to achieve
justice. The opening words of the Constitution tell us that "to
establish justice" is one of the founding reasons for the United
States.  Justice is the great striving of our nation, and the eternal
hope of our hearts. But still we are left with the question: What is
justice? After three decades of public service and four years as your
Attorney General, I am confident in this answer: You are justice. You
are the eyes that watch over the nation. You are the hands that uphold
equal justice before the law. You are the feet on the street that
nurture and protect our inalienable right to live in freedom. I join
with the American people in humbled gratitude for your service to the
nation.

Lastly, speaking for myself, I express my gratitude to God for the
each day the sun rises on a free and safe America. For the past three
years, my every working day has begun with a report - a catalog of the
murderous acts being plotted against Americans, That we have passed
these three years in safety and security is a credit to you.

But it would be the height of arrogance to assume we achieved this
alone. The Psalms remind us: 'Vnless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchman stands guard in vain," My friends and colleagues, for
four years we have stood watch together. We have endured many things
and we have accomplished many more. It has been the honor of my
lifetime to stand beside you. And as I take my leave of this
privileged post, I know that our efforts have not been in vain. The
Builder of our city and the Author of our freedom has stood beside
us. He stands beside us still.