[Politech] Suresh Ramasubramanian's critique of EFF's mailing list white paper [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 11:03:28 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Just sent you [yet another] EFF note on spamblocking / moveon.org
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:41:46 +0530
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@private>
To: declan@private
CC: suresh@private

Hi Declan

I just sent you a copy of the EFF document at
www.eff.org/wp/?f=SpamCollateralDamage.html

That article tends to ignore certain facts.. such as that moveon.org is
certainly not - in several cases - delivering email to people that want
it ... like, for example:

http://www.politechbot.com/p-04835.html

In addition - I've disagreed with both these people about their stance
on spam .. discussions you were kind enough to cover on politech. I might
just mention these as well ..

http://www.hserus.net/cindycohn-reply.txt
http://www.hserus.net/brad-reply.txt

and wrt Annalee .. she earlier posted an article to politech about
earthlink's spam filters blocking her mailserver as an open relay, and tried
to bring in the Co$ background of one / more of earthlink's founders into
the picture to hint that it was all part of an evil plan

http://seclists.org/lists/politech/2002/Sep/0018.html

While I don't like that "church" any more than she does, that was a
cheap shot, especially as I've known and worked with my counterparts on
the earthlink postmaster / abuse team for the last several years, and
found them quite proactive, but fair and definitely not extremist in
dealing with spam related issues. Several replies -
including mine - to her politech post are below ..
http://seclists.org/lists/politech/2002/Sep/0020.html

All old news .. moveon.org hasn't changed their policies yet. Cindy and
Annalee continue to think spam filtering is an infringement of free speech,
and are quite willing to retain their beliefs enough to ignore / gloss
over several facts that tell a completely different story.

regards
srs

----- End forwarded message -----