[Politech] Dan Solove's "The Digital Person" released [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 06:10:52 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: THE DIGITAL PERSON -- new book on privacy, technology, and law
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:41:05 -0500
From: Daniel Solove <djsolove@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan,

Of possible interest:

THE DIGITAL PERSON: TECHNOLOGY AND PRIVACY IN THE INFORMATION AGE

By Daniel J. Solove
ISBN: 0814798462
NYU Press (December 1, 2004)

http://www.law.gwu.edu/facweb/dsolove/Solove-Digital-Person.htm

THE DIGITAL PERSON explores the collection and use of personal information
in computer databases.  In the Information Age, our lives are documented in
digital dossiers maintained by hundreds (perhaps thousands) of businesses
and government agencies.  These dossiers are composed of bits of our
personal information, which when assembled together begin to paint a
portrait of our personalities.  The dossiers are increasingly used to make
decisions about our lives - whether we get a loan, a mortgage, a license, or
a job; whether we are investigated or arrested; and whether we are permitted
to fly on an airplane.

Do these developments pose a problem?  Is it possible to protect privacy in
a society where information flows so freely and proliferates so rapidly?
THE DIGITAL PERSON seeks to answer these questions, setting forth a new
understanding of privacy, one that is appropriate for the new challenges of
the Information Age. The book recommends how the law can be reformed to
simultaneously protect our privacy and allow us to enjoy the benefits of our
increasingly digital world.

"Daniel Solove is one of the most energetic and creative scholars writing
about privacy today.  The Digital Person is an important contribution to the
privacy debate, and Solove's discussion of the harms of what he calls
'digital dossiers' is invaluable"

-- Jeffrey Rosen, author of The Unwanted Gaze and The Naked Crowd

"Solove's book is the best exposition thus far about the threat that
computer databases containing personal data about millions of Americans
poses for information privacy.  Solove documents not only how ongoing
advances in information technology is increasing this threat significantly,
but also how governmental uses of private sector databases and private
sector uses of governmental databases are further eroding the
privacy-by-obscurity protection of yesteryear.  Most importantly, Solove
offers a conception of privacy that, if adopted, provides guidance about
policies that would preserve information privacy as a social value."

-- Pamela Samuelson, Chancellor's Professor of Law and Information
Management at the University of California, Berkeley

"A far-reaching examination of how digital dossiers are shaping our lives.
Daniel Solove has persuasively reconceptualized privacy for the digital age.
A must-read."

-- Paul Schwartz, Brooklyn Law School

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Professor Daniel J. Solove have written extensively about
privacy issues, including a textbook, Information Privacy Law, with
co-author Marc Rotenberg.  He has published over a dozen articles about
information privacy, has contributed to amicus briefs before the U.S.
Supreme Court, and has been interviewed by numerous media, including The New
York Times, Washington Post, Business Week, ABC News, CBS News, Associated
Press, and NPR.