[Politech] Two reviews of Larry Lessig's "Free Culture" book [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 06:47:18 PST

Here's an excerpt from David Post's review in Reason (which is generally
quite positive):

http://www.reason.com/0411/cr.dp.free.shtml
For instance, Lessig’s proposal for an Internet-wide compulsory
licensing scheme -- a fixed, government-set royalty rate covering all
music downloads -- strikes me as unwise. There are, to begin with,
serious practical and theoretical problems with any scheme that sets a
single (per-byte?) price to cover all musical works. More importantly,
under a compulsory licensing scheme, the government is suddenly the
arbiter of all transactions; every music download becomes, literally, a
federal case. The potential for government snooping, not to mention the
administrative nightmare, gives me pause.
And I have some other nagging doubts that Lessig never quite dispels.
It’s undeniable that the scope of copyright has expanded vastly during
the last few decades. But there is a respectable slice of opinion that
views this expansion much more positively than Lessig does -- one that
welcomes these developments.

The second follows.