[Politech] Michael Powell: No FCC censorship of satellite radio [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 21:15:45 PST

[Of course it's hardly clear that the FCC has the statutory authority to
impose "indecency" restrictions on satellite radio if it wanted to, and
constitutional hurdles are another reason for Powell to say this. But
it's still good that he did. More broadly, the existence of two
different regulatory regimes does cause an imbalance, and all else being
equal, a competitive advance for satellite radio. If the imbalance ever
corrects itself, I hope it'll be in the less-regulated direction rather
than the Pacification of satellite. --Declan]

---

http://news.com.com/FCC+chief+buoys+VoIP%2C+satellite+radio/2100-7353_3-5515823.html?tag=nefd.top

FCC chief buoys VoIP, satellite radio
Published: January 6, 2005, 3:09 PM PST
By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

LAS VEGAS--Michael Powell had a rare bit of good news Thursday for shock
jock Howard Stern, saying the government had no interest in censoring
satellite radio... "I think it's a dangerous thing to start talking
about extending government oversight of content to other media just to
level the playing field," Powell said. [...] Broadcast radio operators
have made several unsuccessful attempts to restrict satellite radio
content. But Powell said the merging of media formats and the Internet
and changing attitudes favor minimal oversight. [...]