[Politech] Euro plans to require ISPs to snoop on users are "hidden tax" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 21:45:47 PST

[Clearly the European approach to protecting its citizens' privacy is
superior to the one in the U.S.! Clearly European bureaucrats are
looking out for the best interest of their citizens! (Seriously, though,
I'm not defending the U.S. All I'm saying is that it is possible to draw
comparisons between two flawed approaches and conclude that one regime
is not quite as wretched as the other.) --Declan]

---

http://www.net4nowt.com/isp_news/news_article.asp?News_ID=2592

Thursday 06 January 2005, 21:44:34

     The London Internet Exchange (LINX) has started the New Year by
issuing a warning that European plans to force ISPs to collect traffic
data will add to costs for Internet users.

     "It would be nothing less than a hidden tax on Internet users who
will be obliged to pay for the costs of government snooping," said
Malcolm Hutty, regulation officer with LINX.

     The European Council of Ministers is currently considering
legislation which would force ISPs to collect and retain a wide variety
of data about the traffic which they handle. It is intended that this
data would be made available to law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

[...remainder snipped...]