[Politech] Some replies to bloggers hurting reporters' 1A defense [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 21:32:20 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech] Bloggers undercut reporters' 1A privilege
defense [fs]
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 04:22:14 -0800
From: Lindsey, Ethan <elindsey@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan --
In my education at Columbia j-school, our journalism law class had
special seminars with first amendment lawyer Floyd Abrams (of Pentagon
papers fame and now representing Miller and NYT). Interestingly he and
the two faculy for the class (Columbia law prof Vincent Blasi and NYT
reporter Anthony Lewis) made the same point Gerstein references in the
article...quite possible the most egregious restriction on press freedom
would be some sort of credentialing rule, where the government (or some
ad hoc body) can choose who *is a journalist, and who is not.

Once that happens, the body would then be in a position to stifle speech
arbitrarily by deciding who has those protections. And the illegality of
credentialing has been repeatedly upheld in the courts for decades. So,
in some ways, when I read the reports of Abrams' efforts in these cases
I am surprised. Then again, I am no legal scholar so maybe his argument
for Miller's protection is on an entirely different basis.

Cheers,
Ethan

---
Ethan Lindsey