[Politech] Why Apple was right to sue web sites for leaking product info [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 21:03:58 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] EFF helps bloggers sued by Apple with legal
defense [fs]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:18:23 -0800
From: john gale <john@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

I want to voice my opinion in favor of Apple's defensive stance against
the bloggers and their informants.  What these bloggers did is
different from reporter confidentiality because of the type of
information.  Reporters can interview infamous, outlawed figures
without fearing legal repercussions of hiding their whereabouts because
they are reporting stories, viewpoints, and other non-protected insider
information.  However, the owners of these sites took information from
their sources *knowing that it was confidential, trade-secret
information*.  They willingly trafficked in illegal information.  These
are not reporters sharing free albeit insider knowledge, these are
bloggers knowingly sharing legally protected intellectual property.

On one hand, I don't think Apple should take too aggressive a stance,
since bullying their fans makes them unpopular, but on the other hand
they can't stand around watching their information illegally leaked to
business competitors.

     ~ john

On Jan 11, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [And of course thanks to Apple's announcements on Tuesday, we know
> that many of the bloggers were right... --Declan]

support the arts!
www.smadness.com

Happy Holidays, 2004