[Politech] Replies to new House bill revamping U.S. drivers licenses [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 20:38:23 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Highlights from new bill revamping state
drivers	licenses [priv]
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:21:20 -0500
From: Michael G. Thompson <ferret@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan McCullagh wrote:

>I managed to get a copy of the bill and have placed it here:
>http://www.politechbot.com/docs/drivers.license.bill.012605.pdf
>
>A few highlights:

Lowlights you mean!  About 10 years ago, I worked for the IT branch of
the Maryland MVA.  At one point, they had the fine old idea of selling
the entire picture database to a private firm in Massachusetts, which
would have essentially done the same thing for the private sector.  If
I'm not going to allow that to go unprotested, you can betcher ass that
giving DHS unfettered access to my diriving record and photo is going to
go over like a neutronium balloon.  And to those of you who say that DHS
is only trying to protect the nation from terrorists, I say to you:  How
safe do you feel now?  There is no proof that this would be a safer
thing to do, and there is plenty of proof that it would put a lot of
power in the hands of federal employees who have almost no motivation to
properly secure and control access.