[Politech] Politech subscriber asks for help with biometric hand-swipe system [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 06:51:32 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	a request for help from Politech
Date: 	Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:49:03 -0800 (PST)
From: 	The Undisclosed Location <theundisclosedlocation@private>
To: 	declan@private

Declan,
I'm an avid longtime Politech reader and I'm hoping you can provide some
assistance, either personally or by submitting this to the Politech
community.

My employer (a non-profit cultural organization in New York City that is
in no way a high security target) is proposing to institute a biometric
hand swipe system to track employee comings and goings.  I intend to
formally submit my concerns in the coming days and I would greatly
appreciate any articles, studies, reports, etc. you can direct me to -
or for that matter, some poignant pull-quotes from Politech's informed
readers - to support my argument.

I'm particularly concerned about not only the privacy and personal
liberties issues this raises, but also about the inadequate explanation
my employer has offered about how this information will be maintained,
secured and who will have access to it.  I've followed the debate of
these issues with great interest and I thank you and the community in
advance for your help.

Sincerely,
DW
theundisclosedlocation@private <mailto:theundisclosedlocation@private>