[Politech] Spyware warning: be careful of Blogspot.com "next blog" link [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 21:20:20 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Blogspot spyware warning
Date: 	Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:52:53 -0500
From: 	Alvin Borromeo <Alvin.Borromeo@MT-Law.com>
To: 	<declan@private>

Declan,

I thought your readers might want to be aware of my recent problems with
using the "Next Blog" button on blogspot hosted blogs.  Hitting the
button takes users to a randomly selected blog on blogspot.
Unfortunately, some of the blogs download viruses and adware as soon as
you visit the site.

I wrote of my experience first here
(http://www.mt-law.com/blog/2005/01/spyware-on-blogspot.html) then gave
an update here
(http://www.mt-law.com/blog/2005/02/update-another-blogspot-blog-that.html).

Another blogger described his experience here
(http://gilbertwesleypurdy.blogspot.com/2005/02/astonishing-virus-alert-must-read.html).

Blogger wrote to me that they're working on filters for the "Next Blog"
feature, but didn't really address the virus/spyware issue, unless of
course viruses and spyware is content that I don't want to see.  Here's
what they said:

         Thanks for your email. In this version 1.0 release of the
         Blogger Navbar,the NextBlog button brings users to a random blog
         that 1) has a navbar, 2) was recently updated and 3) is listed
         as a public blog. Right now, it's impossible to know what sort
         of blog you're going to land on. However, we are working on how
         best to help our users avoid content they don't want to see
         along with other ideas and upgrades to the Navbar. Your feedback
         is appreciated in this process.

Alvin Borromeo
Mallory & Tsibouris Co., LPA