[Politech] Google's Gmail edging closer to public roll-out?

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 21:25:01 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Gmail about to go to public phase?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:15:14 -0500
From: Danny Yavuzkurt <ayavuzk@private>
To: <declan@private>

Well, since everyone else is likely emailing this to you trying to be
"first" ;), I might as well be one of them. Just got this email from Google
on the Gmail "don't-call-us-we'll-call-you" list, says "you can now create
an account"; they've also removed the "sign up for announcements" link on
the webpage, which leads me to the inescapable conclusion that Gmail is
about to go public free-for-all. Let the server slowdown commence (though I
must say, if it hasn't already become slow and sluggish with all the people
who joined using the hundreds of invites they've given everyone on the
system already, it might not get as bad as Hotmail, ever - though, of
course, with the advent of automated spam signups and all, it'll likely get
worse and worse..)

Damn, I knew I should've bought Google stock at the IPO..

-Danny

pasted: