[Politech] World Bank report questions size of "digital divide" [econ]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 22:04:11 PST

I've never completely understood the term "digital divide." Perhaps it's
mere parochialism: I live in Washington, DC and have access to DSL and
cable modem connections and can purchase a T1 line.

But I don't think so -- the real problem is the term "digital divide"
itself. Any such "divide" is necessarily a subset of an economic divide.
I have access to technological resources because the U.S. and its peer
nations have stable governments, functioning court systems,
not-entirely-insane tax rates, functioning bank systems, and pay some
attention to property rights. That encourages investment, both domestic
and foreign, and fosters an environment that lets a middle class grow
and communications providers prosper.

What I just described is not the situation in many parts of the world,
especially Africa and perhaps portions of Latin America, that are the
most vocal in demanding "Digital Solidarity Funds" paid for by tax
dollars in countries that have made more sane economic choices. (This is
not an accident of geography. In the early 1900s, Argentina was an
economic powerhouse. Now its citizens are understandably leery of bank
accounts and credit cards, thanks to past government thievery.)

A recent UPI column describes the problems confronting Latin America
today, thanks in large part to politicans' poor economic choices:
http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20050211-033722-6932r.htm

In other words, it's a bit silly to talk about the "digital divide"
without also addressing the underlying problems of broken court systems,
military rule, confiscatory government policies, and so on that these
nations have yet to address. Solving those problems would go a long way
to solving any "digital divide" that still remains.

But it's always easier to beg for a handout.

The summary:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=7731166
GENEVA (Reuters) - The "digital divide" between rich and poor nations is
narrowing fast, the World Bank said on Thursday, calling into question a
costly United Nations campaign to bring hi-tech telecommunications to
the developing world...
Poorer countries, particularly from Africa, are expected to repeat calls
in Geneva Friday for a "Digital Solidarity Fund" to help finance the
infrastructure they say is needed to close the perceived technology gap...

The World Bank report itself:
http://lnweb18.worldbank.org/ict/resources.nsf/InfoResources/04C3CE1B933921A585256FB60051B8F5
All of this evidence suggests that, at least in terms of access to basic
infrastructure, the  digital divide is rapidly closing. Many fewer
people around the world have no access at all to ICTs, and people in the
developing world are getting more access at an incredible  rate—far
faster than they got access to new technologies in the past, and far
faster than developing countries are adding telephone lines today.