[Politech] Canada deports Ernst Zundel to Germany after trial with secret evidence [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 22:24:32 PST

Ernst Zundel first came to my attention around a decade ago when he
created a website called, of course, the "Zundelsite." It became one of
the more popular Holocaust denial (Zundel would probably call it
"Holocaust revisionist") destinations around.

That by itself would be mostly unremarkable, though it was early enough
  in Net.history that the idea of Nazi apologists setting up websites
was still somewhat unusual. What made Zundel's case noteworthy at the
time is that the German government tried to coerce some of its domestic
network providers to block access to the "Zundelsite," which was hosted
in the U.S. I recall that Germany eventually backed down, perhaps as a
result of the controversy.

Anyway, Zundel went on publishing his "The Hitler We Loved and Why"
variety of screeds, and nobody really paid much attention to him for the
next few years. At some point he moved from Canada to the U.S. and
became entangled with the immigration authorities -- missed an
immigration hearing or charges of that nature. That proved to be a
terrific mistake. It gave the Feds an excuse to ship Zundel back to
Canada, and gave Canada an excuse to put him on trial as being a
"national security threat" because of his writings and possible ties
with right-wing groups.

That brings us to the present. Zundel lost his court battle in Canada
and is now in his native Germany, where he was arrested as soon as his
plane touched down in Frankfurt this week. I wouldn't be surprised if he
remained in prison for life.

Let us stipulate that Zundel likely has extensive contacts with
Nazi-sympathetic groups. Let us further stipulate that even apart from
his political views, he's nutty (he postulated secret Nazi UFO bases in
a "hole" in the south pole). And if Zundel and his allies were in power,
freedom of speech would scarcely be respected -- rather, it would be
crushed under a stormtrooper's boot.

But legal process is important, and Zundel's deportation does not appear
to be justified. He has no criminal record. There is no public evidence
of Zundel conspiring with any other Nazi-sympathizers to break U.S. or
Canadian law. He was held under a worrisome Canadian law that permits
the indefinite detention of anyone deemed a threat to national security
without any charges needing to be filed. Secret evidence, never revealed
to the public, was used to convict him.

The judge presiding over his trial wrote: "Mr. Zundel has never
advocated violence. This has been the basis of his position throughout
the hearing. How can defending ideas, however unpopular or insulting,
pose a safety concern for Canada?"

But Judge Blais eventually concluded that the secret evidence tipped the
scales in the opposite direction. "The information made available to me
paints an entirely different picture. Mr. Zundel is not the avuncular
figure looking on with some indulgence on the wayward excesses of some
misguided souls who fail to understand his message of non violence. The
evidence points to his own direct involvement with groups he pretends to
know very little about..."

There's a reason the ACLU famously defended the right of Nazis to march
in Skokie: process is important. Denying one group, no matter how
reprehensible, the right to speak paves the way to further abridgements
(who decides what's reprehensible?). Relying on secret evidence is no
way to run a free society, and punishing someone for even odious
political views is wrong. (Remember this the next time Ottawa lectures
Washington on human rights.)

If the police had evidence of criminal mischief, it should be presented
in open court, not offered as innuendo. The Canadian Civil Liberties
Association was correct to decry Canada's bizarre procedures and
unseemly haste to be rid of a political problem.

-Declan

PS: We've covered Ernst Zundel before:

Photos here (Zero Knowledge must love the free advertising):
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/5/ernst-zundel-1.html
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/5/ernst-zundel-2.html

Background here:
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/z/zundel-ernst/