[Politech] Replies to Ernst Zundel's deportment, some differing views [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 19:59:26 PST

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/02/canada-deports-ernst/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Canada deports Ernst Zundel to Germany after
trial with secret evidence [fs]
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:44:20 -0800
From: Brad Templeton <btm@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
CC: politech@private

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:24:32AM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
 > Ernst Zundel first came to my attention around a decade ago when he
 > created a website called, of course, the "Zundelsite." It became one of
 > the more popular Holocaust denial (Zundel would probably call it
 > "Holocaust revisionist") destinations around.

Zundel was famous in Canada long before that.  He was the test case that
went all the way to the supreme court, the second serious test of the
new charter of rights regarding free speech.   He had published a pamphlet
called "Did 6 million really die?" (He did not write the pamphlet.)

He was charged under the false news law:

     181. Every one who wilfully publishes a statement,
     tale or news that he knows is false and that causes or is likely to
     cause injury or mischief to a public interest is guilty of an
indictable
     offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

The lower courts upheld this law, but the supremes eventually struck it
down.  They had not struct down a narrower "hate speech law" because the
Canadian charter has a fat exception in it not present in the US bill
of rights.   The case was particularly famous because the Crown had to
call witnesses to prove in court the holocaust was true.

Anyway, it seems Zundel's adversaries won in the end.