[Politech] Not Free-As-In-FOIA: $203, 436 for Social Security Admin. to disgorge files [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 20:09:50 PST

[I'm no expert on FOIA history (there are some on Politech and I urge
them to chime in). But there seem to be two questions: 1. Is it
appropriate to charge a fee to a non-news organization? 2. Is this fee
reasonable? The answer to #1 is generally yes. The answer to #2 I'm not
sure about. $203,436 seems high to me but it may be in line with FOIA
precedents. --Declan]