[Politech] More on teachers being videotaped, and where to find video [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 07:59:18 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Teacher recorded mistreating child; school bans
videophones [fs]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:40:45 -0800
From: John Gilmore <gnu@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
CC: politech@private

This is rich.  Schools have been installing cameras and video
recording systems for decades to catch children doing something wrong.
They think this is appropriate use of technology and defend it to the
death.  But when the price comes down far enough that children can use
it to catch teachers and administrators doing bad things -- then it's
time to ban the technology.  No, not the surveillance cameras
installed by the schools!  Only the handheld cameras used by the
students.

David Brin wrote a book, The Transparent Society, about this
fundamental question: As cameras become ubiquitous, who gets to watch
whom?  Brin argues that one of the few ways to avoid a totalitarian
outcome is if EVERYBODY gets to watch EVERYBODY.  The hatred of most
current power structures for this idea testifies to its power to make
us all equals: students and teachers, administrators and citizens.

I do not argue for Brin's thesis, though I think it deserves study.  I
do believe that the school district should not be surveilling or
recording students if they cannot surveil and record the schools.

	John Gilmore
	Electronic Frontier Foundation

PS:  You can write to the school system here:

Brick Township Public Schools
Board of Education
101 Hendrickson Ave
Brick, NJ 08723