[Politech] Request for critique: a 16-point plan for privacy regulation [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 16:05:48 PST

Here's an excerpt from one of their points. Would this affect
journalists seeking public records?

"Access to personal information in public records shall be restricted
for certain purposes.  For  example, accessing public records to obtain
data for commercial solicitation should be  prohibited.  Other purposes
shall be permitted: monitoring the government, research, educational
purposes, tracing property ownership, and other traditional
non-commercial purposes.  Data  brokers obtaining such data should be
required to promise via contract, in return for receiving  such data, to
be subject to reasonable use restrictions on that data and to demand
that those to  whom the data is transferred also restrict uses and
transfers..."