[Politech] Jon Weinberg on bloggers and I-Visa perils [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 22:19:07 PST

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/22/why-bloggers-dont/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Why bloggers don't want to be journalists: the
dreadedI-Visa [fs]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:51:30 -0500
From: Jon Weinberg <weinberg@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

     Well, yes and no.  It's most convenient, if you want to visit the
US, to
do so under the visa waiver program (if you're eligible), or on otherwise on
an ordinary B-2 tourist or B-1 "temporary visitor for business" visa.  It's
not crazy, though, that journalists seeking to enter the US in this manner
would get a hard time from DHS.  The problem is that, in general, people who
enter the U.S. in any of those ways aren't  supposed to be *working*.  They
can engage in business meetings or conventions, and a variety of similar
activities, but as a general matter they're not supposed to be performing
labor for hire.  (The idea here, natch, is to shield U.S. workers from
outside competition.)  So if DHS thinks you're entering the US *to work* as
a journalist, they're taking the position that you need to fit yourself into
some other visa classification -- and the one for working journalists is
"I".  They seem to have started paying a lot of attention to this lately,
after years of not caring.  And I gather that they can be difficult about
it.

     So far as I know, though, none of that is relevant to Jeremy Wright
because (with exceptions not relevant here) Canadians don't *need* visas to
enter the U.S.  So his visa status was never in issue.  We've got to blame
his treatment on something else.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
Professor of Law, Wayne State University
weinberg@private