[Politech] More on U.S. law penalizes fake info on domain registrations [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 22:00:59 PST

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/30/known-us-law/

There's also this relevant op-ed from GoDaddy's Bob Parsons:
http://www.circleid.com/article/986_0_1_0_C

And see this petition:
http://www.thedangerofnoprivacy.com/
http://epic.org/privacy/whois/

Subject: Re: [Politech] Little-known U.S. law penalizes fake info on
domain name registrations [priv]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:34:26 +0530
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan McCullagh wrote:
> Called the Fraudulent Online Identity Sanctions Act, the measure would
> increase prison sentences by up to seven years in criminal cases if
> someone provided "material and misleading false contact information to a
> domain name registrar, domain name registry, or other domain name
> registration authority." That's a reference to the Whois database that
> lists information about who owns each domain name. [...]

Jesus. If people want privacy, and dont want their home addresses and
phone numbers exposed in the whois data, most registrars like verisign,
godaddy etc offer a whois privacy service (like domainsbyproxy.com)

The context of this act does say "criminal case". So, with a tip of the
tinfoil hat to various libertarians with objections, I might just point
out that this seems targeted more at spammers / phishers / other net
abusers who signup domains with names like M.Mouse and D.Duck, and bogus
addresses / phone information .. and then they would have to perform a
criminal act, referencing that domain .. like say break into servers to
send out spam, release viruses into the wild etc.

[A clarification -- the law also boosts penalties for civil copyright
cases, not just criminal matters. --Declan]