[Politech] Reports of dubious accuracy on ChoicePoint, IEEE, and security certification

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 21:23:13 PST

A few minutes late, here's a roundup of tech-related April Fool's jokes,
if you're not sick of them already (Slashdot went a little crazy this year):
http://news.com.com/2061-10786-5650217.html?tag=xtra.ml

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:11:38 -0500
From: J.D. Abolins <jabolins@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
CC: humour@private

On Friday 01 April 2005 00:56, you wrote:
 > [Let's hope this is a joke! --Declan]

That "Darwin" item is of a religious group speaking to a technology
company. Here's a text from a technology company speaking to certain
religious groups.

J.D. Abolins
------

[Chosen Point Logo: A big eye icon with "fish tail" line extensions on
the right. Chosen Point text has a tiny "i" inserted inside the first
"o" to hint of the international information icon.]

"Choice Systems for Choosy Churches”

Chosen Point, Inc.
1984 Wormwood Drive, Suite 16
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716
USA
479-555-0666

April 1, 2005  For Immediate Release

Rapid Falls, ID – At the Idaho ChurchTech Expo, Chosen Point presented
its new service for religious organizations. These services are to
help churches serve their non-profit corporate mission more
effectively by reducing liabilities for staff and member behavior and
by improving efficiency.

“Many clergy have the outdated notion that the church can and should
reach out to just anybody. But we've seen the numerous disasters such
as the recent church massacre in Wisconsin when member went postal at
a sermon comment,” said Thomas Jameson, Chosen Point's CEO.  He added
to risks of indiscriminate acceptance, “The dangers are not just from
violence. How many churches find themselves encumbered by overly
demanding congregants who are total losers better served by
government services? How many clergy's marriages or domestic
partnerships are shipwrecked by seductive assistants? We have the
answer to these and other problems: Chosen Point background checks
and maintenance monitoring.”

The Chosen Point “FishNET” service allows clergy to screen new
attendees to find high quality people who should be encouraged to
attend and winnow out the problem people. Too often, well meaning
religious workers will divert their efforts to people who will
eventually drain resources. Meanwhile, they will devote too little
attention to winning those people who can bring quality, financial
resources,, and stability. Using the latest marketing and Customer
Relations Management (CRM) techniques, Chosen Point enhances
discernment. Jameson explained the merits of CRM for religious
organizations, “CRM will help you keep the 'angel' congregants and
'exorcize' the 'demon' congregants. Build up the 'angels' by not
letting the 'demons' bedevil you and your church. Remember, a high
power church is not a charity.”

Chosen Point also offers the “SheepByte” member tracking system. When
coupled with “EZ-Pastor” RFID based ID system, it makes a highly
effective way to shepherd the flock. “After all, farmers' livestock
are tracked, why not the Churches' flocks?”, noted Jameson.
“SheepByte” is a comprehensive system for shepherding, including
credit checks, social network monitoring, and Internet use
monitoring.

“EZ-Pastor” enhances tracking of attendance and speed up the
collection of tithes and offerings. “EZ-Pastor” enhances revenues by
reducing the chance for theft or “pretend drop of money/empty
offertory envelop scams” that are inherent with cash-based systems.

The “Premium SheepByte” (PSB) will fish through public and private
sector databases to find information to help pastors better lead
their congregations. Some clergy using the premium system have
received congregant feedback such, “That sermon was so directed to
me. How did he ever know about my secret doubts?” No miracle, just
the power of modern data mining.

A third service from Chosen Point, “FishNET”, gives the power of
Ecclesiastical Competitive  Intelligence Aggregation (eCIA). The eCIA
was developed in partnership with unnamed associates in the DC
Beltway area. More details on this system will be revealed later this
year on October 31. 2005.

###