[Politech] FEC blogging-regulation briefing in DC on May 11 [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 19:26:06 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Advance Invite: FEC regulation briefing at GW's Institute for
Politics, Democracy & the Internet
Date: 	Wed, 4 May 2005 12:16:25 -0400
From: 	Julie <julie@private>
To: 	<declan@private>

Declan,

My name is Julie Germany, and I am the deputy director of the Institute
for Politics, Democracy & the Internet.  Carol asked me to contact you
with advance information about an event we are hosting next week.

The Institute is hosting a legal briefing next week, and given your
background, I wanted to pass along information about the event to you
before we release it to the general public. The session is designed to
brief bloggers, Internet consultants, press and online,
politically-active citizens on the Federal Election Commission’s
Proposed Rulemaking on Internet Communications.

I am particularly interested in collecting questions from the online
community for our speakers prior to the event.  These questions can be
e-mailed to the Institute at events@private <mailto:events@private>.

I have included the most recent draft of our event invitation below.
The event Web pages will go live later today at www.ipdi.org/fec/.  In
the meantime, I hope you will contact me directly for further
information about the event.  My information is below.  It is also my
hope that you will assist us with getting the word out about the event
by passing this e-mail along to friends and associates who may be
interested in the new regulations or who have concerns about how the
regulations may affect their future online political activities.

Julie A. Barko Germany
Deputy Director
The Institute for Politics, Democracy and the Internet
The Graduate School of Political Management
The George Washington University
805 21st Street, NW, Suite 401
Washington, DC 20052

www.ipdi.org

Will the Revolution be Regulated?

What You Need to Know to Respond Effectively

FEC’s Proposed Internet Rulemaking

The Institute, along with the Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT),
will host a legal briefing on the issues at stake in the Federal
Election Commission’s Proposed Rulemaking on the Internet Communications
on Wednesday, May 11^th from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm on the George Washington
University Campus, 805 21^st Street, Room B07, Washington, D.C. (The
basement of the Media & Public Affairs Building at the corner of 21^st
and H.)

Three nationally recognized experts in campaign finance law will explain
how the FEC’s proposed Internet rules will affect bloggers, political
activists, parties, political committees, corporations and unions, with
particular emphasis on the blogging community:

     * Ken Gross, partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, and CNN
       analyst on election law.
     * Robert F. Bauer, partner, Perkins Coie, and Counsel to the
       Democratic Senatorial and Congressional Campaign Committees
     * Don Simon, (invited),  partner, Sonosky, Chambers, Sachse,
       Endreson & Perry LLP, and Counsel to Democracy 21

Carol Darr, director of IPDI, and John Morris, counsel to CDT, will
moderate.

REGISTER NOW <http://www.ipdi.org/fec/>

This event is free and open to the public.  The Institute will accept
questions for the panel via e-mail at events@private
<mailto:events@private>.

For further information, please visit www.ipdi.org/fec/
<http://www.ipdi.org/fec/>.

The event will be filmed and archived on the Institute’s Web site at
www.ipdi.org/fec/ <http://www.ipdi.org/fec/>.

Funded by grants from The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Institute is the
premier center for research and advocacy on online politics with the
goal of increasing citizen participation and upholding democratic
values.  For more information about the Institute, visit www.ipdi.org
<http://www.ipdi.org/>.

The Center for Democracy and Technology works to promote democratic
values and constitutional liberties in the digital age. With expertise
in law, technology, and policy, CDT seeks practical solutions to enhance
free expression and privacy in global communications technologies.  For
more information about CDT, visit www.cdt.org.