[Politech] House approves Real ID Act; one Democrat's objections [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 07:47:36 PDT

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/04/national-id-card/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/02/09/bush-admin-loves/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/02/09/two-more-warnings/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/24/john-gilmore-on/

----

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*May 5, 2005*

* *

*Contact: Lale Mamaux*

*Phone: (202)225-3001*

*Cell: (202)225-1913*

* *

*Wexler Blasts Democrats for Not Taking a Stand on Real ID *

* *

*/On Anniversary of Yom HaShoa, Congress Shuts Door to Victims of
Persecution /*

*(Washington, D.C.)* - Today, Congressman Robert Wexler (D-FL) voted
against the emergency supplemental appropriations conference report
(H.R. 1268), which passed the House by a vote of 368 to 58.  This bill
included a provision sponsored by Congressman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI)
known as the REAL ID Act, which would institute controversial
immigration changes. REAL ID removes the right of judicial review -
including habeas corpus - for people fleeing persecution, undermines the
privacy rights of even native-born Americans, burdens the states with
complex and unfunded ID requirements, makes it harder for battered women
to hide from their abusers, scapegoats the immigrant community and does
nothing to address the actual problem of border security and enforcement
in the United States.

The Republican leadership shamelessly chose to bundle important aid with
controversial new legislation forcing members of Congress to
thoughtlessly consent to REAL ID in order to support tsunami assistance,
increased funding for military personnel - including increased military
death gratuities and life insurance benefits for active duty troops.

In December 2004, Congress passed the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism
Prevention Act of 2004, which implemented the core recommendations of
the 9/11 Commission.  Despite the fact that our government has barely
begun to implement this important legislation, the REAL ID Act would
delete key security-related provisions in the Intelligence Reform Act
that had the overwhelming support of both parties in the House and
Senate. These provisions included minimum standards for driver's
licenses and identification cards necessary to gain access to federal
facilities, identification procedures to board a plane and a thorough
non-partisan study on potential weaknesses in the U.S. asylum system.

"While I am heartened that 57 of my colleagues joined me in opposing
REAL ID, I am baffled that so many Democrats caved in to the
parliamentary tricks of the Republican leadership. Though I have come to
expect as much from Republicans, by supporting the conference report in
spite of the REAL ID poison pill, Democrats have abandoned our core
values and failed to stand up for the rights to privacy, fair treatment
under the law and freedom from persecution upon which our country was
founded. It is tragic irony on the very anniversary Yom HaShoa, the day
we remember the horrors of the Holocaust, we are shutting the door to
victims of persecution. We all support strengthened border security. We
all support our brave military. And we all would like to help the
victims of the devastating tsunami. However, to vote for REAL ID,
without even an honest debate on the issue, is insulting to Americans,
who sent us here to represent them. We were not elected to rubber stamp
anything just because we support /part/ of it," Wexler said.

REAL ID was opposed by over 600 groups nationwide, including by National
Conference of State Legislatures, National Council of La Raza, ACLU,
Amnesty International, Service Employees International Union, People for
the American Way, Anti-Defamation League, B'nai B'rith International,
Jewish Labor Committee, American Jewish Committee, American Jewish
Congress, Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Miami (Jewish
Federation), Jewish Council for Public Affairs, Jewish Labor
Committee, and the AFL-CIO.

/Congressman Wexler is a senior member of the House International
Relations Committee and is a member of the House Judiciary Committee.  /

*-30-*

**Lale M. Mamaux ***
**Communications Director**
**Office of Congressman Robert Wexler **
**213 Cannon House Office Building **
**(202) 225- 3001 **
**lale.mamaux@private <mailto:lale.mamaux@private>***