[Politech] How a two-seater plane can roil the Feds: lots of thoughtful replies

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 20:22:11 PDT

There are some excellent replies, so please keep reading beyond my
comments (I'll take moderator's prerogative and prepend mine).

* Many folks have pointed out, correctly, that even a Cessna 150 can
carry perhaps 200 lbs of explosives. True. All I'm arguing for is a
balance -- living in a free society means accepting some risk and taking
measured responses. Those hypothetical explosives could also be
delivered by a small fleet of radio-controlled airplanes, but we
(properly) don't require RC hobbyists to undergo DNA scans and
background checks. Similarly, why are we banning even general aviation
pilots who have undergone extensive background checks from flying out of
Reagan National? It's an unmeasured response.

* What about biological or chemical weapons? Cars and trucks can drive
within a block of the White House and Capitol buildings (Pennsylvania
Avenue is partially closed but not 15th and 17th streets, which are
major commuter arteries). An aerosol dispersal system hidden in a
"Fedex" truck that tools around the city for many hours would, I'd
wager, do a much better job than a Cessna 150 that's likely to be shot
down by F-16s anyway. Also, if the Feds were really worried about this,
they'd keep everyone indoors instead of sending them racing outside to
gulp down chlorine gas or anthrax spores.

* What about suitcase nukes? They're a real threat, especially if you
believe reports that the Russians have, ah, misplaced dozens of them.
There have been claims that al Qaida purchased 20 of them in 1998 for
$30 million. But why risk flying one in (and sending everyone to the
bunkers) when you can place it in the trunk of a Ford Taurus and drive
it within a block of the White House or the Capitol? I assume that the
Feds have radiation detectors hidden in street lamps, etc., near
sensitive locations -- but I'd also assume there are countermeasures in
terms of shielding that a resourceful adversary would employ.

* It's impossible to have perfect security in a residential area. A
cunning adversary who wanted to bring a plane into the FRZ undetected
could buy a two-seater EuroFox for $50,000, fold its wings, and conceal
it inside a U-Haul van. Park the U-Haul in Rock Creek Park three miles
north of the White House in the middle of the night, unfold the
EuroFox's wings, take off in a field and fly low along the parkway. That
attack would probably be undetected until the plane was mere blocks from
the White House, too late to ready a missile battery and shoot it down.
(http://www.rlsa.us/eurotrailer.htm) The only way to prevent such
stealth attacks would be to militarize all of the DC area (another
reason to move to San Francisco).

* Yes, the flight instructor who was with the student in the Cessna 150
probably deserves what's coming to him. I say "probably" because FAA
flight service briefers have been known to claim, incorrectly, that the
ADIZ is no longer in effect. If the flight instructor stayed above or
below Class B airspace -- which has been around forever and would have
been marked on even old charts -- and received an incorrect briefing, he
may have done nothing obviously wrong. Then again, the odds of that
happening seem slim.

Bottom line: If we wanted perfect security we could close Reagan
National and Dulles airports permanently, enact a "shoot-on-sight"
policy with no warning flares from F-16s, close all of downtown DC to
non-government vehicles, ban all non-commercial flights in the entire
mid-Atlantic region, and so on.

But this is not what we want. Living in a free society means accepting
some risk and placing curbs on the demands of security agencies. It also
means some courage on the part of our elected officials, and some sanity
on the part of our foreign policy (but that's a whole different topic).

http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/11/seater-airplane-brings/