[Politech] Jim Harper meets with Visa on RFID cards -- and likes the idea [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 07:44:15 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/20/rfid-wiggles-its/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech] RFID wiggles its way into credit cards? [priv]
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:14:49 -0400
From: Jim Harper <jharper@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan:

I had a sit-down with Visa folks about this because they are aware of my
activism (and that of many others) against the State Department's
RFID-chipped e-passport.

There is an RFID ISO standard and a "contactless" card standard.  Both
use radio frequency but they differ in other respects.  Generically,
they're the same.  In detail, they're different.

What matters to me are the crucial differences, along many vectors, from
the disastrous e-passport.  Most of all, as you recognize, it is offered
in the market where people have a right to refuse it.  That distinction
is fundamental.

The chip and data in the Visa card differs in many other technical
respects.  The chip has the same info as the magnetic strip (account #,
CVV) - not name, nationality, and other vital information as the
e-passport would have had.  It uses triple DES encryption where the
e-passport was going to use . . . none (none relevant, anyway).

Most interesting, I think, the chip will generate a unique number for
each transaction that will be correlated to a unique number generated
using the same algorithm on the card-issuer side.  This will make
skimming the card information or eavesdropping on a transaction pretty
close to worthless because a criminal would have to know the *next*
unique number.  And if that system is somehow cracked, the issuer bears
the liability for fraud - not consumers or merchants.

The design of the chip and antenna is oriented to very short range
reading.  I assume, without knowing, that they are going to do better
than the State Department did with its choice of chip and antenna.
(Barry Steinhardt illustrated State's poor choice very well at CFP right
in front of the State Department guy.)  I think mine is a safe
assumption because the credit card network has its own money on the line
if it fails.  The State Department only risked our security - nothing of
its own.  In fact, it would probably have gotten a bump-up in funding to
fix the e-passport if it really screwed it (us) up royally.

Remaining concerns:

1) Criminals could use a reader to determine that you have a credit card
in your purse or wallet.  Beating you up and stealing it, they could go
on a rampage of <$25 transactions (the limit at which the Visa system is
doing signature-free payments).  The weakness of this concern is that
pretty much everyone has credit cards already, so using an RFID reader
to detect credit-card-carrying victims would be an improvement on the
current criminal art by about 0.01%.  The concern is not chipped cards:
It's the proliferation of under-$25, signature-free transactions.  But,
again, the risk of loss is with the card issuer.  I don't see a crime
wave coming from this.  How many times can you eat at McDonalds before a
fraud algorithm kicks in and/or the consumer cancels the card?  Rational
criminals (and most are) will see better avenues, including, one hopes,
getting a job.

2) The credit card system will have more information about consumers'
lower-dollar transactions.  This is an expansion on an existing problem
if the data might be passed over to governments for any of their
incipient/insipid "data mining" programs.  This is not a particular
concern with the credit card industry, but with all consumer-oriented
businesses, which will continue to have more and more consumer data.
They all need to get clearer about when they share data with governments
(when there's a proper subpoena or warrant) and when they don't (all the
rest of the time). Likewise, we need to fight things like administrative
subpoenas and national security letters, further iterations of which are
percolating in Congress even now.

3) The credit card system will have more information about consumers'
lower-dollar transactions.  This is good, in my opinion, when it's used
to tailor products and market them more accurately and politely to
consumers.  (That would be nice, right?  ;-)  But information might also
pass to insurers, employers, and other economic actors.  Before
screaming about the unfairness, we should recognize that people's
resistance to the idea of insurers knowing about their McDonalds habits
is a desire to prevent true information from being used to rate their
risk to the insurance pool.  I don't eat at McDonalds very much, so that
makes *my* insurance more expensive.  Still, I'm ambivalent about
wide-scale sharing of data among different economic actors/entities.
People who are outright against it should look into the contracts
offered by credit card issuers (first by demanding better disclosure of
their policies in the application process) and demand contractual
protection against these uses if they want it.  Do they represent a
broad-based consumer interest?  We'll find out by whether they sway
consumers' choices in the market.  If they do not represent a
broad-based consumer interest, of course, they will seek legislation
which is much easier to gin up than getting the bulk of consumers to
dislike something they don't care about or that they might even like.

This latter point gets us into general, bigger data use issues that are
only related in passing to the chip in the new credit card.

On balance, I think the contactless payment card is going to be an added
consumer convenience.  Consumer convenience is good.  Lots of people
like to react, knee-jerk, against RFID, but there are tons of uses that
are going to benefit consumers mightily and I think this is probably one.

Jim

Jim Harper
Director of Information Policy Studies
The Cato Institute