[Politech] Philippine group protests country's electronic surveillance plans [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 06:40:00 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Bantay ICT (ICT Watch) campaign against electronic
surveillance, invasion of privacy and anti-terror bills
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 12:17:55 +0800
From: Robert Guerra <rguerra@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan:

I'm presently visiting the Philippines and thought your readers might
be interested in supporting the Bantay ICT group. Can you post this
on the list - would really appreciate it.

regards

Robert

--

Bantay ICT, a group of Philippine advocates doing analysis and policy
interventions on ICT issues, especially those related to

A provision in at least one of the bills (authored by Rep. Robert Ace
Barbers) authorizes the government to conduct electronic surveillance
allowing it to tap, monitor or intercept email, voice mail, even text
messages of any person suspected of being a member of a terrorist
organization. Bantay ICT feels that:

"this encroaches on the people's right to privacy, freedom of
expression, and communication. Under the pretext of combating
'terrorism', this bill threatens our personal freedom to communicate
as we fear that the government will abuse this measure to conduct
surveillance to minimize dissent and silence activists."

To stop the passage of such a law, you can do your share by:

1. Signing the Bantay ICT online petition at http://
www.petitiononline.com/jmod69/petition.html

2. Writing a letter (a sample of which you can modify is provided
below) to the House Committee on Justice which is now working on the
draft of a consolidated/substitute bill. Send via postal mail or fax to:

Rep. Simeon Datumanong
Chairperson, House Committee on Justice
Committee Affairs Department
3rd Floor, Ramon V. Mitra Building
House of Representatives, Quezon City
Telefax: 9511223

or use the Congress site's web form at: http://www.congress.gov.ph/
committees/search.php?id=0520#

3. Writing a letter to Pres. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Send via postal
mail, fax or email to:

H.E. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
President of the Republic of the Philippines
Malacaņang Palace, J.P. Laurel Street,
San Miguel District, Manila
Tel. 7356201
Email: gma@private, corres@private

4. Texting GMA

Sample text:

IM AGAINST ANTI_TEROR BILL & NATL ID
UPHOLD OUR RIGHT 2 PRIVACY
REPECT OUR FREEDOM

GLOBE: 09178398462, 09178985462, 09178982462
SMART: 09198984621, 09198984622, 09198984623

DRAFT OF LETTER
(Bantay ICT requests to be furnished a copy of the letter you sent at
j_mod@private for monitoring purposes.)

I am against the anti-terror bills filed in Congress, especially the
provision on electronic surveillance. I feel that this provision
encroaches on the people's right to privacy, freedom of expression,
and communication. It threatens our personal freedom to communicate
as we fear that the government will abuse this measure to conduct
surveillance to minimize dissent and silence activists.

According to the provision, the government may conduct electronic
surveillance and/or tap, monitor or intercept internet e-mail, voice
mail, even text messages of any person suspected of being a member of
a terrorist organization. If this bill will be enacted, I fear that
the government may use this to target human rights activists, youth
leaders, trade unionists, political oppositionists and even journalists.

In 2001, Filipinos used the power of information and communications
technology (ICT) to protest against the Estrada administration. ICT
became the weapon of choice of many Filipinos frustrated with Mr.
Estrada's kind of governance. By sending statements and by
downloading materials through the Internet, by sending millions of
text messages, Filipinos all over the world were linked together and
were able to topple another president in what was dubbed as the
'multimedia revolution'. If this bill will be enacted into a law, we
may never have the chance to use the power of the Internet again to
air our grievances.

Yes, 'terrorism' is a menace that must be stopped but not at all
cost; certainly not at the expense of our right to privacy and
communication. The Philippines have enough laws to combat
'terrorism'; we surely do not need this one.

No to invasion of privacy, No to the curtailment of freedom of
expression and communication, No to electronic surveillance, No to
anti-terrorism bill!

Truly yours,

Your Name

--