[Politech] An email provider's take on FTC's "zombie" crackdown [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 21:06:18 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/24/ftc-plans-spam/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] FTC plans spam "zombie" crackdown: a good idea? [sp]
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:50:23 -0400
From: H. Brower <hbout@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan,

Very informative article on the spam-zombie problem.  However I must
disagree with you on what ISPs are currently doing to block the zombies from
sending email out.  Comcast is most definitely NOT blocking port 25 (the
SMTP protocol channel) for a majority of their subscribers.  They along with
Shaw Cable in Canada are by far our two largest sources of zombie-spam
currently, with thousands of unwanted messages coming in daily from their
broadband subscribers.

The new zombies pop up so fast it is not possible for existing spam blocking
services like Spamcop or SPEWS to keep up with them, and as a result our
spam filters are slowly losing their effectiveness.

 From our standpoint as a mid-sized email provider, what would help most is
for broadband and dialup ISPs to properly setup their DNS systems to
identify their residential end users, so that we can block all email coming
from addresses such as "*.pool.BIGISP.COM".  This setup still allows us to
accept legit email from their official mail servers, which would have
different DNS addresses.  AOL already does this, and Verizon has at least
partially implemented such a system.

Since a lot of spam coming from hacked zombie computers seems to drive users
to make purchases through legitimate e-commerce sites, albeit through a
network of shadowy web affiliates, it might be helpful for the FTC to also
warn those merchants to check out their affiliates carefully. I know of at
least one large auto maker who is indirectly profiting from such a
zombie-spam campaigns.

Regards,
Hugh Brower
X9 Interactive - FuturisNET