[Politech] European "privacy" laws may -- or may not -- permit data retention plan [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 17:35:41 PDT

[Data retention of course means laws requiring Internet service
providers or telephone companies to record information on what their
customers are doing. Perhaps someone can remind us again how evil
corporations are endangering civil liberties and our privacy cannot be
trusted to the free market? (Obviously I'm joking. No CEO in his right
mind would go forward with this over the objections of customers. The
truth is that our privacy and civil liberties can't be trusted to
governments. It's just that getting rid of them is somewhat more
difficult.) --Declan]