[Politech] Justice Department "undermines" medical privacy protections [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 19:58:11 PDT

As a thought experiment, consider: Could medical privacy have been
protected in other ways than the incredibly crude and blunt instrument
of HIPAA? How about simple, tried-and-tested contracts, and state tort
law? How about reforming the tax code so it eliminates the weird way
health insurance is treated?

Those solutions might have costs of their own, true, but one benefit
they would offer would be to eliminate today's situation when one
bureaucratic proclamation has such a far-reaching effect.

We've covered some of the problems with HIPAA before: