[Politech] Weekly column: What's behind the video game witch hunt? [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 21:48:32 PDT

http://news.com.com/2010-1071_3-5741217.html

What's behind the video game witch hunt?
June 13, 2005, 4:00 AM PT
By Declan McCullagh

Self-appointed morality mavens are mounting a concerted, state-by-state
campaign targeting politically incorrect video games.

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat, is expected to sign a bill
this month that will make his state the only one in the republic to ban
the sale of violent video games to minors.

"I commend the Illinois General Assembly for recognizing the importance
and necessity of this bill, and I am pleased to have the opportunity to
sign it into law," Blagojevich said in a press release. A suitably
outraged Blagojevich spokeswoman went so far as to label games like
"Grand Theft Auto" as "practically pornography."

Illinois is hardly alone. California's Assembly has shelved a similar
bill for now, though supporters of the scheme are still contemplating a
last-minute push in the state Senate. And a North Carolina bill would
ban computer games (think Solitaire) from government-owned PCs.

[...remainder snipped...]