[Politech] Brad Templeton on weird Utah, Michigan laws and problems for mailing lists [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 20:51:54 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/06/27/mail-laws-spell/

Think of how this affects Politech. When the laws go into effect on
August 1, what happens if I send off-color material to the list (hey, it
happens) and an email address of a Politech subscriber is on Michigan's
list? Could I get criminally prosecuted? There seems to be a defense to
conviction in the Michigan law but not necessarily in the Utah one.

I'm hardly alone among list owners either. People haven't been paying
attention and, technically, could soon be criminals.