[Politech] Weekly column: The Specter-Leahy bill's Net crackdown [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 20:11:01 PDT

http://news.com.com/The+coming+Web+security+woes/2010-1071_3-5772012.html

The coming Web security woes
July 4, 2005, 6:00 AM PT
By Declan McCullagh

Our esteemed leaders in the U.S. Congress are vowing to enact new laws
targeting data thieves, backup-tape burglars and other information-age
miscreants.

We should be worried.

Any reasonable person, of course, should agree that such thefts must be
punished and data warehouses should let us know if our information falls
into the hands of criminals.

But a bill announced last week by Sens. Arlen Specter, R-Penn., and
Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., goes far beyond reasonable data security
precautions. It amounts to a crackdown on individuals, bloggers and
legitimate e-mail list moderators.

[...remainder snipped...]