[Politech] John Gilmore on wiretapping cell phones aloft: FBI's real motivations [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 21:37:10 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/07/13/feds-push-for/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Feds push for wiretapping cell phones aloft:
CALEA takes flight! [priv]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:48:11 -0700
From: John Gilmore <gnu@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, politech@private, gnu@private

> For example, the use of satellite-based communications and data services
> onboard aircraft could potentially facilitate a coordinated attack
> between (1) a person on the aircraft and a person on the ground, (2)
> persons traveling on different aircraft, and/or (3) persons traveling on
> the same aircraft located in different sections of the cabin, who could
> communicate with one another using these services...

We know the FBI is not full of idiots, so their proposal is merely
designed to mislead.  The FBI does not propose ripping out all the
back-of-seat phones in current aircraft, to prevent eeeeevildoersssss
from phoning their buddies.  On my Virgin flight last month
seat-to-seat calling was even free.

They don't also propose to take down the national cellphone netowk
that the 9/11 victims used to call law enforcement.  Presumably any
remaining terrorists noticed that "illegal" cellphone use on airlanes
WORKS ANYWAY.  And no plane would ever be full of sleeping people who
would fail to wrestle a forgetful miscreant cellphone user to the
ground and punch them out to show how tough on terrorism we are...

There are far more FBI agents in the US than terrorists, and we have a
much longer and better documented record of their abuses of the
innocent (and particularly of ethnic minorities and those out of favor
politically).  Let's ban FBI agents from communicating because they
might violate our civil rights.  And require all such communication to
be accessible to the interested public in real time upon application
to the Big Data Center In The Sky.

Or better yet, let's presume that all communication among people in
the US is lawful and protected by the First, Fourth and Fifth
Amendments.  Like any honest agency charged with protecting civil
rights would, in a free country.

     John Gilmore
     "Only in a police state is the job of a policeman easy." - Orson Welles