[Politech] Google refuses to speak with news organization after critical story... for one year [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 08:58:36 PDT

http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-5819085.html
"Google representatives have instituted a policy of not talking with
CNET News.com reporters until July 2006 in response to privacy issues
raised by a previous story."

Slashdot thread:
"Google Blacklists CNet Reporters"
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/08/05/122217.shtml

From: peter wayner <pwayner@private>
Date: August 5, 2005 10:41:11 AM EDT
To: dave@private
Subject: google shuts down comments with reporters

Dave--

This information comes from one source. My understanding is that
Google's lockout of CNet News began after the site ran a story about
privacy:

http://news.com.com/Google+balances+privacy%2C+reach/
2100-1032_3-5787483.html

It's a perfectly nice little piece about the tension between privacy
in an age when so much information is available online. The friction
apparently began because the reporter used information about Google's
CEO gathered from Google itself. It discussed his net worth, hobbies
and political leanings.

Now, I'm not sure if some other aspects figured into this mess, but it
leaves me with this question:

* If digging into someone's relatively public activities is worth
starting a fight, why is the Google CEO running a company that makes
it so easy for so many to spy on so many? Shouldn't he resign if he
feels that searching through Google's index is so evil?